Monday, January 19, 2009

Aspartame

I just began reading Skinny Bitch, which I've heard is absolutely amazing. I got through the first 3 or 4 chapters on the subway today, just enough to be scared shitless of aspartame, soda, diet soda, splenda, and a host of other things. So I figured, instead of my normal Dr. Pepper with lunch (I LUUUUUURVE me some Dr. Pepper. I will give my firstborn. And second born. And third born (none of which are real sacrifices, seeing as I plan to never deliver a child)) I would get a Diet Snapple. It is, of course, made from the best stuff on earth. I figured I can't go wrong.

Halfway through my salad of romaine-egg whites-kidney beans-tomatoes-fresh mozzarella-chick peas-croutons-and balsamic vinegar, I look at the ingredients of the Diet Snapple.

ASPARTAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaah! Formaldehyde!

Excellent. I tried to make a better decision than sugar-laden Dr. Pepper heavenly goodness, and I'm ingesting aspertame. Dammit.

On the plus side, I've already consumed 40 ounces of water, plus two cups of tea. So maybe I can wash it all out.

2 comments:

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

oh I am so excited you are reading that book! They are pretty serious about their food...way more then I could ever be, but I love the entire concept of what they speak of. I am planning on re-reading it next month; I hope. Did you go back to school yet? I know you've talked about it. I am almost done with grad school and can't wait to read for fun again!

Quinn said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much afraid to eat anything except something I grow in my own backyard (which: HA!) after reading the first 45 pages in this book. But no, I haven't gone back to school yet. Still trying to figure out what I want to do, and where I want to go.